The Higher Education Committee engaged in a second University Dialogue at the University of Washington Bothell on June 5, 2014. The Dialogue was the second in a series of events with AAP to bring together college administrators, policymakers and stakeholders around the nation to share information on how new technologies created by higher education publishers and digital learning companies help reduce costs and improve student success. Washington Congresswoman Suzan DelBene hosted the spirited conversation.
• Publishers such as Cengage, Pearson, Macmillan, Wiley and McGraw Hill agree the first step is to ask students and instructors how they’re using textbooks and how they engage with course materials in order to provide the most effective solutions.
• A survey of more than 2,000 students from Macmillan shows that 89% of students thought that using online learning materials improved their learning and productivity.
• More and more publishers are providing workshops for instructors on best practices for integrating new tools and materials into instruction and curriculum.
• The E-BOOK Act, proposed legislation by Congresswoman DelBene, would authorize $20 million to establish pilot programs at public universities across the nation to expand student access to digital course materials.
- Wolf Yeigh, Ph.D., Chancellor, UW Bothell
- Andreas Brockhaus, Director of Learning Technologies, UW Bothell
- Kelly Snyder, Director of Government and Community Relations, UW Bothell
- Rosemary McAuliffe, State Senator, 1st Legislative District, Washington State Legislature
- James Ptaszynski, Ph.D., Senior Director, World Wide Higher Education Strategy, Microsoft
- Kristen Connely, Bookstore Director, Bellevue College
- Kenneth Lawson, Ph.D., Vice President for Instruction, Skagit Valley College
- Elena Bianco, Technical Services Librarian, Norwood Cole Library, Skagit Valley College
- Austin Wright-Pettibone, Government Relations Director, Associated Students of UW Seattle
- Brittany Moranes, Vice President, Associated Students of UW Bothell
- Sara Grossie, Director of Public Relations, Associated Students of UW Bothell
- David Lile, Director of Student Advocacy, Associated Students of UW Bothell
- David Anderson, Executive Director for Higher Education, Association of American Publishers
- Eric Ziegler, Senior Implementation and Training Specialist, Cengage Learning
- Stephen Hochheiser, Vice President, College Store and Public Affairs, Cengage Learning
- Bill Davis, Senior Publishing Representative, Macmillan
- Tyler Withrow, Product Technology Specialist, Macmillan
- Amber St. John, Director, Enterprise Solutions — West, McGraw-Hill
- Ed Dillon, Senior Director, Enterprise and Learning Solutions, McGraw-Hill
- Lisa Culhane, Director, Program and Channel Development, Global Education, John Wiley & Sons
- Valerie Studebaker, Executive Director, Strategic Partnerships, Higher Education, Pearson