Supporting the creation of dynamic and innovative learning tools that are integral to educating our next generation of citizens
Advocating for quality content for teaching and learning
AAP’s PreK-12 Learning Group strives to promote and support a fair, competitive, and thriving marketplace for PreK-12 publishing of all types, on all platforms. AAP members involved in the PreK-12 industry include developers of print and digital instructional materials and learning tools, as well as manufacturers, suppliers, consultants, and other non-publishers directly involved in the industry. The Learning Group also offers industry and international partnerships for eligible companies that want to benefit from joining our division. We partner with our members to advocate, analyze, and work for policy changes that benefit the entire PreK-12 community. To keep members well-informed and well-connected, we provide a range of resources, conferences, award programs, and networking events that spotlight trends in policy, technology, and learning. Members also serve on our Executive Council and participate in PreK-12 committees to help guide the work of the division.
Keep Current With Educational Publishing
Stay up to date on issues that affect the PreK-12 learning resource industry
- Content in Context (CIC): Our annual conference for anyone involved in the creation, marketing, or sales of educational content. Next event: June 6-8, 2016, Loews, Philadelphia, PA
- CEO Roundtable: An in-depth learning and networking event for senior-level executives in the educational resource industry. Next event: Leadership During Disruption - Keys for Success in Today's Learning Resource Market, December 7, Scholastic Inc., NYC
- Master Class: Our annual series of professional development courses, on-site or on the web. Next event: Essentials for Next Generation Science Instruction, Nov. 5, Pearson, NYC
- Education Hot Spot at the Frankfurt Book Fair: Join us on October 14 in Frankfurt for our presentation The Association of American Publishers - Partnering with the World
- Fall Policy Exchange: A forum for industry experts to come together around key PreK-12 policy issues.
- Policy Webinars: Members-only updates on state and federal legislation
Members receive discounts on AAP conferences, seminars, and many other events. For all upcoming AAP events, visit Programs & Events.
“The Smithsonian Science Education Center has found the weekly updates highlighting current publishing research, PreK-12 Learning trends, and trade publishing resources extremely thoughtful and valuable as we search for insights in the publishing marketplace and make informed decisions about our future.“
Brian Mandell, Science Curriculum Developer
- Lamplighter Honors: Honors individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to the advancement of learning resources and the community. The 2015 Lamplighter Honors Gala will take place Monday, December 7 at the Russian Tea Room in NYC.
- REVERE Awards: Honors excellence in products across all media that support teaching and learning. Enter now -- early bird ends Nov. 6.
Advocacy and Priorities
The latest information on our positions, advocacy efforts, and initiatives
- What Are Learning Resources?: Gives an updated definition of learning resources, encompassing any tool that helps teachers teach and students learn
- Quality Content for Learning Resources: Provides definitions and checklists for quality content for learning resources
- Instructional Materials Adoption: Gives an overview of the adoption process
- Educational Standards: Presents AAP’s position and perspective on educational standards in the United States
- Instructional Materials Funding Facts: Gives an overview of funding for PreK-12 learning resources in the classroom
- Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI): Develops a common metadata framework for discovering learning resources online
- Healthy Guidelines (pdf): Developed voluntary standards for healthy living examples in all educational materials through a 2011 joint initiative of AAP, the Association of Educational Publishers, the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, and the National Association of State Boards of Education
- Additional Resources: Provides curated links to research and helpful government resources
- EP Insider: Our weekly members-only e-newsletter flagging current reports, presentations, and industry info
- Policy Insider: Our monthly members-only e-newsletter on current thinking, research, and shifts in educational policy and politics