The PreK-12 Learning Group actively monitors policy measures that could affect the ability of educators and students to acquire and benefit from high-quality instructional materials and advocate with legislators and education officials for the best interests of the learning resource industry.
We provide members with several ways to learn more about and advocate on important policy issues.
- Policy Update*: Our members-only emails on important news regarding legislation, regulations, and government affairs.
- Webinars: As part of our members-only webinar series, we provide policy-related webinars on important state and federal legislation and regulations.
- Committees: The PreK-12 Learning Group advocacy committee and state- and issue-specific subcommittees focus their efforts on upcoming legislation and regulations, help draft comments, and provide lobbyists with important information to guide their work.
Statements and Resources
- What Are Learning Resources?: Gives an updated definition of learning resources, encompassing any tool that helps teachers teach and students learn
- Quality Content for Learning Resources: Provides definitions and checklists for quality content for learning resources
- Instructional Materials Adoption: Gives an overview of the adoption process
- State Adoption Schedule*: Revised state adoption schedule for K-12 materials.
- Educational Standards: Presents AAP’s position and perspective on educational standards in the United States
- Instructional Materials Funding Facts: Gives an overview of funding for PreK-12 learning resources in the classroom
- Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI): Develops a common metadata framework for discovering learning resources online
- Healthy Guidelines (pdf): Developed voluntary standards for healthy living examples in all educational materials through a 2011 joint initiative of AAP, the Association of Educational Publishers, the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, and the National Association of State Boards of Education
- Additional Resources: Provides curated links to research and helpful government resources
For more information on the AAP PreK-12 Learning Group’s advocacy programs, contact David Anderson.
* Available to members only.