Supporting the creation of dynamic and innovative learning tools that are integral to educating our next generation of citizens
Advocating for quality content for teaching and learning
AAP’s PreK-12 Learning Group strives to promote and support a fair, competitive, and thriving marketplace for PreK-12 publishing of all types, on all platforms. AAP members involved in the PreK-12 industry include developers of print and digital instructional materials and learning tools, as well as manufacturers, suppliers, consultants, and other non-publishers directly involved in the industry. The Learning Group also offers industry and international partnerships for eligible companies that want to benefit from joining our division. We partner with our members to advocate, analyze, and work for policy changes that benefit the entire PreK-12 community. To keep members well-informed and well-connected, we provide a range of resources, conferences, award programs, and networking events that spotlight trends in policy, technology, and learning. Members also serve on our Executive Council and participate in PreK-12 committees to help guide the work of the division.
CIDL: Supporting the Development of Next-Generation Education Products
The Center for Innovation & Digital Learning is a new initiative by the Association of American Publishers that aims to promote a steady influx of forward-thinking ideas into the learning resource market and to support the development of next-generation educational technology.
PreK-12 Programs & Events
- Content in Context (CIC): Our annual conference for anyone involved in the creation, marketing, or sales of educational content. Next event: June 6-8, 2016, Loews, Philadelphia, PA
- Leadership Series: Explores a key industry issue in depth over a year through several events, including members-only webinars and events open to the industry. The 2016 theme is OER and the Changing Dynamics of the PreK-12 Market.
- Leadership Forum: Save the date for our first-ever Leadership Forum, December 7, 2016, in New York, which will tackle key questions about the current state of the instructional materials market and the future of OER.
- Members-Only Webinars: Exclusive insights and analysis for AAP members on the latests issues and policies impacting the learning resource industry. Next webinar: State Legislative Wrap-up with Jay Diskey, Executive Director, AAP PreK-12 Learning Group (June 22, 2 - 3 pm EST.)
- AAP PreK-12 Learning Group and the Frankfurt Book Fair: Book Fair, October 19-23, 2016; PreK-12 Learning Group Hot Spot Presentation, Oct. 20, 4:30 - 5:00 pm with reception to follow.
- On the Rise: Recognizes early career professionals in the educational resource community who demonstrate remarkable leadership and innovation.
Members, industry partners, and international partners receive discounts on AAP conferences, seminars, and many other events. For all upcoming AAP events, visit Programs & Events.
Keep Current With Educational Publishing
Stay up to date on issues that affect the PreK-12 learning resource industry
- Lamplighter Honors: Honors individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to the advancement of learning resources and the community.
- REVERE Awards: Honors excellence in products across all media that support teaching and learning. The 2016 entry period is closed. See the finalists and join us June 8 at the REVERE Awards Gala to find out who will be crowned the best learning resources of 2016.
Advocacy and Priorities
The latest information on our positions, advocacy efforts, and initiatives
- Center for Innovation & Digital Learning: A new initiative from AAP's PreK-12 Learning Group and Higher Education Committee, the CIDL's goal is to promote new ideas and support the development of next-generation educational technology
- What Are Learning Resources?: Gives an updated definition of learning resources, encompassing any tool that helps teachers teach and students learn
- Quality Content for Learning Resources: Provides definitions and checklists for quality content for learning resources
- Instructional Materials Adoption: Gives an overview of the adoption process
- Educational Standards: Presents AAP’s position and perspective on educational standards in the United States
- Instructional Materials Funding Facts: Gives an overview of funding for PreK-12 learning resources in the classroom
- Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (LRMI): Develops a common metadata framework for discovering learning resources online
- Healthy Guidelines (pdf): Developed voluntary standards for healthy living examples in all educational materials through a 2011 joint initiative of AAP, the Association of Educational Publishers, the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, and the National Association of State Boards of Education
- Additional Resources: Provides curated links to research and helpful government resources