If you have less than three years’ experience with professional, scholarly, and academic book publishing, this course will provide an overview of the industry. Or, if you have spent most of your career working in one aspect of PSP publishing and want to learn about other PSP job functions, you should attend. This intensive day-long seminar will help professionals gain perspective on the changes sweeping the scholarly and professional publishing industry. The session will offer a comprehensive overview of the basics. Topics include: Copyright & Legal Issues, Acquisitions, Marketing, Sales, Production and Finance.
Friday, June 22nd
More Information: http://publishers.org/programs-events/professional-scholarly-academic-books-basic-boot-camp-2
If you want answers to the following questions, then this is the course for you:
- What is Professional and Scholarly Publishing (PSP) and how does it differ from Trade, Higher Education, and El-Hi publishing?
- Where do books come from, and how do we ensure their quality? Who manages authors? What is peer review?
- How does making an e-book differ from a print one? How does a manuscript become a book? How do we manage budgets, schedules, and workflow?
- What goes into an effective marketing plan? How do we identify customers, what they need, and how to reach them?
- What are the primary sales channels and how are they changing?
- How do you read a P&L and other key financial documents? Learn how to understand the key indicators of a successful book.
Comments from Past Attendees:
- I think this seminar should be mandatory for anyone new to PSP publishing.
- I gained a great amount of insight into many different aspects of publishing.
- Very informative – a thorough, lively and educational introduction to this industry. Would definitely recommend to fellow entry level people in publishing.
- I think the session was wonderful because it put al the pieces of the puzzle together for me all at once. Although it was definitely a lot of information to take in, it gave me a better idea of how each department should and needs to work together. Everyone was also very friendly and helpful.
- Great speakers and content! All very engaging, funny and impressive. Enjoyed the commentary.
- This was a great event. I learned a lot in a short amount of time about all aspects of the industry. I’m excited to get back to work and put all of this knowledge to good use.
- This was an amazing overview of publishing. It was broad enough to touch base on all facets of publishing but detailed enough where I learned A LOT.
- This is a great overview for people new to the industry but also as a refresher course for industry veterans.
This course will be held next on June 22nd in NYC. More details here.