Professional, Scholarly & Academic Books: The Basic Boot Camp
9 AM - 5 PM
AAP - NY Offices
71 Fifth Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10003
If you have less than three years’ experience with professional, scholarly, and academic book publishing, this course will provide an overview of the industry. Or, if you have spent most of your career working in one aspect of PSP publishing and want to learn about other PSP job functions, you should attend.
This intensive day-long seminar will help professionals gain perspective on the changes sweeping the scholarly and professional publishing industry. The session will offer a comprehensive overview of the basics.
Topics include: Acquisitions, Marketing, Sales, Production and Finance
If you want answers to the following questions, then this is the course for you:
- What is Professional and Scholarly Publishing (PSP) and how does it differ from Trade, Higher Education, and El-Hi publishing?
- Where do books come from, and how do we ensure their quality? Who manages authors? What is peer review?
- How does making an e-book differ from a print one? How does a manuscript become a book? How do we manage budgets, schedules, and workflow?
- What goes into an effective marketing plan? How do we identify customers, what they need, and how to reach them?
- What are the primary sales channels and how are they changing?
- How do you read a P&L and other key financial documents? Learn how to understand the key indicators of a successful book.