Enabling the communication and dissemination of new ideas and discoveries that drive innovation.
2020 PROSE Awards Call for Entries
AAP is now accepting entries for the 2020 PROSE Awards honoring outstanding scholarly books, journals, and e-products. The awards recognize the very best scholarly works published in 2019 in the arts, humanities, reference and sciences.
Submissions deadline: Friday, November 15, 2019
AAP 2019 PSP Conference is a Mission Critical Success
It was all hands on deck for AAP’s talented team in producing an important Professional and Scholarly Publishing Conference at the Ritz-Carlton in Washington’s West End. The conference, which was held on February 6-8, 2019, focused on high-caliber discussion, subject matter expertise, and thought leadership covering the theme of “Publishing and the Dissemination of Knowledge.”
President and CEO Maria Pallante and Vice-President of Public Policy Matt Barblan shared the planning and emcee duties; they were joined by Executive Vice-President Allan Adler, Vice-President of Global Policy Lui Simpson, and Assistant General Counsel Sofia Castillo, with all five lawyers working together to lead discussions and moderate panels throughout the program. The conference dove-tailed with the opening of the U.S. government, ensuring that the city and airports were fully-functional, and permitting several government officials to join the gathering of distinguished guests. AAP was bolstered by strong support from the Board of Directors, as well as a number of PSP members who contributed a variety of ideas and presentations throughout the planning process and two-day conference. AAP’s communications and administration teams provided invaluable contributions, not only for the conference but for the 2019 PROSE Awards and luncheon.
To read a summary of the conference proceedings, click here
- Open Access: Information, policy statements, and perspectives on the open access debate
- PSP Public Policy and Legislation: Links to PSP advocacy efforts
- Learn More About Scholarly Information: The what, how, and value of scholarly publishing
Educational Programs and Events
- PSP Annual Conference: Held in Washington D.C. and focusing on the most topical issues of concern to the PSP community
- PROSE Awards: Recognizes distinguished professional and scholarly books, journals, and digital content in over 40 categories
- Guest Speakers: Presentations at PSP committee meetings on topical issues; offered as a member benefit, open to AAP members only
For all upcoming AAP and PSP events, visit Programs & Events.
Resources and Communications
- PSP Member Organizations
- AAP Overview on Sci-Hub and Scholarly Publishing
- The Scholarly Publishing Process - Infographic
- Professional and Scholarly Publishing: 2.3 Billion Payroll Impact
- Sense About Science: I Don’t Know What to Believe: A guide to the news media debate about science and medicine
COUNTER: PSP and Semantico have cooperated with COUNTER to produce two manuals for publishers and vendors implementing COUNTER-compliant usage statistics. See:
A Friendly Guide to COUNTER
A Friendly (Technical) Guide to COUNTER
PSP supports several PSP-relevant initiatives sponsored by other organizations
- Chicago Collaborative: Established in 2008 to promote open communication and education among stakeholders in scholarly scientific communication
- CHORUS: A model for providing public access to published content that reports on grant-funded research
- Publishing Research Consortium: Promotes evidence-based discussion by supporting research into global issues that have an impact on scholarly communication